From the Assistant Principal
Safe travel to and from school
This week we have reiterated to students the importance of travelling directly to and from school and not loitering around train stations and bus stops. There is safety in numbers, and we advise that students travel during peak times. It is also important for our girls to be aware of their surroundings especially when crossing roads, as students are sometimes distracted by phones, other electronic devices and their friends.
Important dates for Term 2
- 5 June: Staff Development Day (Assessment and Feedback)/ Pupil Free Day
- 8 June: Queen’s Birthday long weekend
- 10 and 11 June: Year 11 Drama Production 7pm
- 15 June: Year 11 2016 Parent Information Evening 7pm
- 17 June: Athletics Carnival
- 25 June: 7-11 Parent/student/teacher interviews 4pm-7pm
- 26 June: 7-11 Parent/student/teacher interviews 9am-4pm
- 26 June: Term 2 concludes
The Learning Journey
Term Two sometimes feels like “assessment term” to many of the students as tasks are marked and handed to back to students, and reports are prepared. It is important for all students to keep in mind that each assessment result is a point of reference that allows them to decide on where to go from here. That is what really matters once the task has been done.
I see students fold up their “test” after only looking at the mark on the front, rather than taking the time to reflect on their progress. It is important to ask questions about their knowledge of content and practice of skills:
- What did I do well?
- What bits don’t I get yet?
- What worked in my preparation?
- What mistakes did I make that have helped me learn?
- What do I need to do in order to do better next time?
Assessment is not an end point, its part of the journey.