From the Mathematics Department
Some Maths riddles! Courtesy of the Maths Prefect – Anthea Michalopoulos (Year 12)
How many can you do?
- What mathematical symbol can be placed between 5 and 9, to get a number greater than 5 and smaller than 9?
- You have a barrel of water and you need to measure out just one litre. How do you do this if you only have a three-litre container and a five-litre container?
- How can you add eight 8’s to get the number 1,000? (only using addition)
- What is the largest number you can get from using just two digits? (not 99)
- If a pizza that has radius “z” and height “a” what is its volume?